The social and political climate today is in dire need of HONEST conversations about diversity, inclusion, and belonging. These conversations can be very difficult, yet they encapsulate everything that is leadership- trust, authenticity, calculated risk, honesty, and even foresight! So, how can leaders and educators begin the conversations that will continue to advance staff, and the overall organization, in their cultural competency and overall leadership skills? All while reminding folks that cultural competency and leadership are processes of endless development and growth.
In order to role model cultural competency and leadership (influenced by cultural responsive methodologies, critical theory, transformative leadership, and leadership through service), the workshop will draw upon the shared and individual knowledge and ways of knowing of the workshop attendees. The discussions, led by probing and thought-provoking questions, will aid in the personal growth of the attendees to support their abilities to create/enhance trainings/workshops to generate more culturally competency, humility, and leadership within their organizational community.
The workshop agenda is outlined below:
- Introductions & Overview of Topic (2 min)
- Discussion of fear surrounds authentic conversations about cultural, being a leader (or failing as a leader), and how those fears relate (8 min)
- Getting People to Safety Activity (5 min)
- Power & Privilege Awareness Activity & Discussion (12 min)
- The Power & Privilege of being a Leader Discussion (8 min)
- Critical Consciousness Discussion – the difficulty with not being able to UNSEE or UNKNOW (7 min)
- Personalized Next Steps Activity (5 min)
- Closing Remarks (3 min)
All Professionals in Management, Training, and Development positions
Human Resource Professionals. Targeted for Social Workers includes beginning, intermediate and advanced level.
Session participants will be able to:
- Understand the variety of cultures (not just race) that include, but are not limited to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, military status, and socioeconomic status.
- Apply training, coaching, and management tools to ask questions respectfully (to learn more), enter situations humbly (to be open), accept feedback (to have constant growth), and give feedback (to help others grow & learn, this includes the expression of hurt/offense in a respectful way), and begin the sometimes difficult conversations in their various places of work or study.
- Evaluate their own perceptions (self-awareness) of their privileges and challenges, as well as the covert messages presenting in training, management, or company practices.
- Create an initial training in their agency/organization/institution to begin the leadership and cultural competency conversation
Continuing Education Hours:
ANCC, ASWB, APA, NBCC
Relias Learning, LLC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Relias Learning, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Relias Learning maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Relias Learning, LLC, #1273, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program.
Relias Learning, LLC maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 2/10/2015-2/10/2018. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Course Delivery Format: Live Activity
There is no additional fee for this course beyond the cost paid for admission to the conference. Please send grievances or requests for accommodations for disability to firstname.lastname@example.org. Course completion requirements: Requires remaining in the room for the duration of the instruction and all learners must sign in and out with the official session proxy. Paper certificates will be immediately awarded upon completion.
Cultural Competence Statement:
All courses offered by Relias are developed from a foundation of diversity, inclusiveness, and a multicultural perspective. Knowledge, values and awareness related to cultural competency are infused throughout the course content.